Monday, July 26, 2010

Final Assignment for Duke - July 26th

At this stage in the field education experience, I am tired and ready to return to life as I knew it before leaving for Mexico in late May. Yet, in reflecting upon my time here throughout all the experiences we have had - participating in the Encuentro trip with other Duke students and faculty as we traveled throughout Mexico, studying Spanish in Cuernavaca, and finally, working in the Iglesia Metodista in Tulyehualco - I realize how blessed I have been to receive so many gifts during this trip. For me, these gifts are ones that have touched me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. However, it took several weeks into the trip for me to realize that all I have experienced here - the good and the bad, the easy and the difficult, the busy and the slow - have all been gifts from God. Further, it has taken a great deal of conscious effort to remember that these gifts are what would and will continue to sustain me throughout this journey.

Through these gifts and experiences, I have learned a great deal about this culture, as well as my own. I have also learned things about myself that I expect will remain with me for some time after I leave Mexico:

1. While many traditions and practices within the Iglesia Metodista are somewhat familiar and consistent with the United Methodist Church, my experience with the people in Tulyehualco has been a little different than I had expected. The worship services are very similar, but the people here are much more open and willing to share their life challenges and hardships with each other. This has been evident through the time devoted to witness and testimony in the worship services. Like people everywhere, the Mexican people share similar characteristics and life goals - they want the same things in their lives: love; support; food and shelter - yet, they are less inclined as a church community to reach out a helping hand to others in need, even within their own families and their churches. Unfortunately, we did not have a great deal of opportunity to experience this firsthand, but this was the sentiment expressed to us by Pastor González. Assuming this is common among the people, it seems as though this lack of emphasis in mission work among churches is based more upon the life circumstances of the people here, particularly with regard to the amount of time and money they have to offer to others. This discussion led me to an increased interest in educating the people about the importance of doing for others no matter the circumstances of life, and even despite these concerns, there are still ways that they can help themselves by demonstrating God’s love. Of course, in addition to this, I have equally been interested in seeking out avenues for offering support from a distance upon our return.

2. Another barrier which has made the entire experience more difficult is the language. Even though this is an obvious and expected challenge, it is still very difficult to get used to. I believe the part of this that will stick with me the most is how the language barrier affects people in all parts of the world. In our country, we have an opportunity to reach out to those experiencing difficulty communicating with others. While I cannot necessarily understand their language, I do understand the frustration people experience in adjusting to a new culture, lifestyle, and language. Finding ways to alleviate that pain and frustration is something I feel strongly committed to doing.

3. Without a doubt, things happen at a slower pace here (and in all aspects of life). I have had to learn to deal with that, as I have slowed down to live in and follow the culture. This has been hard for me, as normally, I am someone full of energy and ready to resolve the challenges of any place I encounter. Fortunately (and in time), I have found through this experience that it’s not helpful for me to fight the system here. Instead, I have come to recognize that God has given me gifts of rest and time in this place - both to reflect and rejuvenate my soul. I hope these gifts are ones that I can continue to seek and practice upon my return.

4. While there are support systems back home, there aren’t many (or any) here. This has been a difficult thing for me to grasp. When suddenly you no longer can see and visit with loved ones and those you depend upon for encouragement and support, it is easy to feel isolated and alone - even when living in a house full of people. The support your “new family” offers is different, but it is critical to adapt to this in order to survive. It is important to accept this new type of support as something just as meaningful and renewing to you. This has been an interesting lesson learned here, particularly as I expect similar feelings of isolation upon beginning my pastoral career. That experience, too, will likely be in a place far from the known comfort of those support systems that I love and long for during times of despair. Seeking other systems and learning to quickly adapt to them during periods of change is what will sustain me, both now and in future encounters in my career.

5. More importantly, learning to rely on God more than anything or anyone else - more than loved ones, outlets for stress relief, etc. - is another key to survival. I am certain there are times in our lives when we must depend upon God more heavily than others. I know I have experienced a few of those times throughout my life, but this 10-week adventure in Mexico has tested me beyond belief.

6. Finally, God is here and at work in the lives of the Mexican people, as well as in our lives, day in and out...even when we don’t necessarily feel God’s presence close. I am not certain why I have had trouble ¨finding¨ or ¨recognizing¨ God here in Mexico, but this experience has been difficult for me in that regard. Maybe I expected something different about how I would feel in serving here or how I would come to know God more through this experience; I don´t know. However, what I have been able to recognize and rejoice in have been the blessings that God has provided for us each day on this journey. I hope to carry this experience with me long after I return, knowing that God continues to bless us no matter where we are, what we do or how we feel.

Overall, my time here in Mexico has given me so much. I have learned a great deal about this culture and people, as well as myself. I look forward to continuing to follow and practice some of these life lessons that I have experienced. ¡Gracias a Dios por este oportunidad!

No comments:

Post a Comment