Thursday, July 22, 2010

A recap of the last week or so

Psalm 57
To the leader: Do Not Destroy. Of David. A Miktam, when he fled from Saul, in the cave.

1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
until the destroying storms pass by.
2 I cry to God Most High,
to God who fulfils his purpose for me.
3 He will send from heaven and save me,
he will put to shame those who trample on me.
Selah
God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness.

4 I lie down among lions
that greedily devour* human prey;
their teeth are spears and arrows,
their tongues sharp swords.

5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
Let your glory be over all the earth.

6 They set a net for my steps;
my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my path,
but they have fallen into it themselves.
Selah
7 My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast.
I will sing and make melody.
8 Awake, my soul!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn.
9 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10 For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens;
your faithfulness extends to the clouds.

11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
Let your glory be over all the earth.


It's been a busy time for us over the past week or so. We've traveled our 2 hour commute to downtown Mexico City more times than I want to remember. We attended Annual Conference 3 of the 4 days. We participated in and observed the ordination of 3 presbyterios locales (the equivalent of elders in the UMC) and the consecration of a new Bishop. We witnessed an emotional congregation of pastors awaiting their (new) appointment for the coming year - including Sonia and Jorge. We attended graduation and danced the night away. We visited with our faculty advisor/professor from Duke, who was here to check-in on us. In that time, we talked; we listened to his advice; we complained; we read scripture; we prayed and we cried together. We worshipped and sang and shared a meal of fellowship with our church family on Sunday. We taught Bible School for several days to a group of 13-15 year olds. (I think there's a reason we set the age limit in our VBS programs to much younger!)

Throughout all of this, we've experienced ups and downs - as has been typical throughout the summer. It's not been easy, but we still get up to face the challenges of the day ahead. As I have lived in the moment of this experience, feeling the rawness of our reality here, I have found it difficult at times to feel that my spiritual life is sustaining itself, much less growing. Yet, as the end of our time here comes closer to its end, I have been reminded of many things in which I can give thanks. "Awake my soul!" because God's prevenient grace (yes, I am a Methodist) carries us through these difficult times of "persecution." In times when we aren't able to to anything for ourselves, it is God's prevenient grace that sustains us. It is when we are unable to recognize our surroundings as gifts from God or to be thankful for those gifts that God's prevenient grace intervenes for us. Even when we turn away from God or doubt God's presence during our challenges and suffering - it's God's prevenient grace that turns us back to God. It's not by our own actions, but by the grace of God that we have survived this summer!

God has been good to me, to us, showering us with grace throughout this trip. God has provided when we needed: food; rest; transportation; friendship; space; time; a shower (!); a bed; a sermon (in Spanish); words of comfort; a listening ear; money; encouragement; a plan (!). In a place where nothing is taken for granted, God's grace has rained down upon us - even when we couldn't think, act, believe, hope or even answer for ourselves. Gracias a Dios!

But our time here is not over and we face some pretty significant days ahead, particularly as we prepare for another, unexpected move in our trip. This move is much more significant for our Mexican family. At Annual Conference, Sonia was appointed to another church after only serving for 2 years in Tulyehualco. Like The United Methodist Church, the Iglesia Metodista follows an itineracy system (thanks John Wesley!), moving pastors anywhere between 1 and 4 years. (Thankfully, 5 or 6 years are becoming more of the norm for us.) The good news is that Sonia and family are pleased with the move. At this new church (which is literally in "downtown" Mexico City), she will now be closer to her husband's church, as well as her son's university. This change, while somewhat of a burden for all involved, is surely another blessing and example of God's grace at work in our lives.

Be praying for us, that we continue to seek God throughout the remainder of this experience, and that our souls awake to recognize the grace and blessings surrounding us each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment